Dunlop Sport Maxx Race: Test driving an Audi R8 V10
To test the qualities of its new super sport tyre, Dunlop provided a top of the range car: An Audi R8 V10. We were allowed to take the car for a quick test drive on the Ascaria race track in Andalusia. Although a bit short, it gave us a good idea of this exceptional tyre’s temperament.
On the same topic
The Sport Maxx Race was unveiled at the presentation of Dunlop’s new sports tyre, the Sport Maxx RT, at the fantastic Ascari race track, near Malaga, Spain.
The test set-up
- The car: Audi R8 V10 with 525 HP.
- The tyres (FR / RR): 235/35 ZR 19 (91Y) XL and 305/30 ZR 19 (102Y) XL.
- The track: 6 laps of the north loop of the Ascari race track (in 2 “runs”) and a trial run with a Dunlop tuning specialist.
Our test area was not chosen at random. The north loop of the Ascari race track is a combination of fast and slow technical corners set in a hilly landscape. It is a physically demanding track for both drivers and cars.
The first corners gave us an indication of the response and stiffness that characterise this type of tyre. From the start, the car-tyre combination seemed consistent.
Steering angles were reduced and the informative steering allowed us to accurately position the car when entering corners. Whether braking, accelerating or in big, fast bends, the tyre perfectly withstood assaults from the inspiring Audi.
After completing our test, we climbed in beside the driver, a fine-tuning specialist, who was delighted to challenge the limits of tyre grip; an impressive demonstration that gave us an idea of the incredibly high pace that can be sustained when a driver is familiar with a track, a car and its tyres.
For sure, this test drive did not allow us to determine how the Sport Maxx Race ranks in the race tyre category approved for the road, but it clearly demonstrates that Dunlop’s super sport tyre has sound arguments to face the competition.
- Dunlop Sport Maxx Race: A racing tyre for the road (or the contrary)
- Dunlop Sport Maxx Race: Technology
- Dunlop Sport Maxx Race: Dimensions
Articles in the same header
- Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3: A high performance winter tyre
- EuroAllSeason AS200: Falken’s first all season tyre
- Nokian WR SUV 3: A high performance winter tyre for SUVs and compact 4x4s
- Hankook Dynapro HP2: A high performance summer tyre for SUVs
- GoodYear EfficientGrip Compact: A safe, economical summer tyre for city cars
- Nokian zLine, Line and eLine: The Finnish tyre manufacturer launches three new summer tyres
- Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002: Tests at the Ascari race track
- Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002: Sport tyre for city and compact cars
- Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance: Track test
- Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance: A touring tyre with a BA label rating